ABOUT THE PHT

About the PHT

The Pierhead Tavern, or PHT as it is more commonly known, underwent extensive refurbishment in 2015 and received much needed TLC. Formerly two bars, these are now merged into one with the feature beach pebble bar enhanced by an orange back bar which compliments the growing array of whisky and gin.  A wood burning stove gives a cosy feel to one end of the pub whilst at the other there is a area which doubles as a stage equipped for music & performances of all types.

It is probable that there has been an Inn or Hotel on the site for more than 200 years; it is recorded in 1807 that there were two inns at Lamlash, of ‘tolerable standard’. In 1828, the Lamlash Hotel was advertised to let, described as ‘new, commodious, and well finished’ - this is likely the left-hand part of the present PHT, along with the flats next door. It is believed that the right-hand section, the present bar area, is older. In 1928, in an effort to temper the consumption of liquor, the Glasgow Public House Trust acquired the hotel and thus it became known locally as ‘the PHT’ as it still is. It was only in the 1970s that the public bar of the Lamlash Hotel, as it was still officially called, was renamed the Pierhead Tavern. In the late 1980s the Hotel was split with the part to the left, now known as Beach House, being converted to flats. The PHT continued as a bar and restaurant, eventually being bought by a national pub chain in 2007 after which it declined, leading to it being marketed for sale in a semi derelict state with permission for conversion to flats. The current owners came across this in the winter of 2014 and transformed the sorry state of affairs to the welcoming and vibrant PHT of today.

PHT SCENERY and EXTERIOR PHOTOS


PIERHEAD TAVERN, LAMLASH, ISLE OF ARRAN, KA27 8JN | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | tel: 01770 600418